Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Science of Shopping

The most important points that were mentioned in the article were when a shopper is in a store, they want to have the option of choosing what they want, buy it and get out. And they want to see everything laid out for them so it is easy for them to choose. The shopper also has to see the designer’s point of view and understand what they are trying to say based on their clothing and how they it laid out throughout the store.

A lot of tips are also given to people who plan to open a business. The person has to be aware of where their store is located, how is it presented on the outside and on the inside. They have to make sure that they make the shopper feel comfortable in their store and make sure that they are providing most of the shoppers with what they want.

I personally go for what I am shopping for. If I go shopping for fall clothes, I go into the stores that have it displayed at the front of the store. Sometimes, I go in when I’ve been to the store before, and know how the store is laid out. For example, H&M is known for having one of the best fall clothes at a good price, so I always aim for that store. But others that are unrecognizable have to have it displayed outside their windows. If I am not shopping for anything in particular, I go into every store possible, because you never know what you can find. I always find something that I really like in a store that I never walked into, and the store ends up being one of the “it” stores on my list.

I like it when the stores put compliments together with things that I might need with a product. In the article they gave an example about shoppers buying a pair of jeans and then getting a belt to go along with it. And also women trying on clothes sometimes would try on accessories that are right next to the fitting room. I like it when they do this, because it makes it easier for me than to go around the store just to look for it. Even though I go around the entire store anyways, I would like to be lazy and have the compliments at the moment I need them.

Checklist:
-Where the store is located
-How is it presented on the outside
-name of the store
-colors
-clothing on display
-What type of clothing is placed on the front
-is it drawing shoppers more into the store
-what type of clothing is at the back of the store
-Are the shoppers having a hard time choosing what they want
-What kind of shoppers are going into the store

No comments: